Polyurea and epoxy coatings are ideal for your retail store floor because they are custom decorative coatings that last for years and are very easy to maintain. A neoprine squeegee, stiff bristle broom, warm water and a small amount of detergent with a degreasing agent is all that is needed to keep your floor looking new for years.
Decorative concrete has become one of the leading flooring choices for shops nationwide during the past 5-10 years. Associated with power to customize a floor with a seamless surface that is easy to keep clean. The biggest issue is how to take care of the surface. Typical water based polyurea coatings and polymer-bonded sealers need a high priced maintenance system to protect the sealers. If the sealers exhaust the decorative concrete underneath will be destroyed.
In the past few years a new protective finish has been developed that handles the problem of premature wear and expensive maintenance. This finish is a polyaspartic polyurea which is in the epoxy family but with an advanced chemical structure. These coatings wear like iron with a few blends that prevent scratching. The new breed of polyureas come in clear or can be pigmented in any color and design. Unlimited design options make them ideal decorative coatings.
However the real benefit is their high performance and low maintenance.
Polyaspartic and Epoxy Coatings Benefits
- Surface Preparation is the first and most important step in the process. This consists of grinding the surface to a smooth, flat work surface. When done correctly all the high spots in your concrete is removed. This is important for the final outcome. You want the coating to be flat and imperfection free. After the floor is ground smooth, spaces in the floor will be exposed and need to be filled.
- Color Options are unlimited. Polyaspartic Polyureas are clear layers. Your concrete can be tarnished or dyed then coatings can be applied. A second option is to add color tones into the coating. Decorative chips or quartz can be added pursued by a clear top coat. Decorative chips come in various sizes and colors. Small 1/16th inch chips resemble colored quartz at a fraction of the cost. There are also designer chips that include glitters.
Custom graphics can be designed and inlaid between layers. These are a high definition, specialized cloth material that is protected by the clear top coat.
- Bacteria Resistant – One of the unique benefits to polyaspartic and epoxy coatings is the tight linking of their chemical structure. The result is minimal micro-scratches and what scratches can take place have a straight edge as opposed to a frayed edge. Straight edges in a scratch enable dirt and bacteria to be easily cleaned from a floor. Coatings that get frayed edges trap dirt and moisture which breeds bacteria and makes floor look dirty and yellow.
- Waterproof After the floor is properly prepared the coatings are applied. Polyureas and epoxy coatings actually absorb into the surface. This is called “wetting”. When the coating cures, all the veins and tiny air holes in concrete are capped off and the coating becomes perhaps the floor. This process stops moisture water vapor from delamenating the surface.
- Easier maintenance. It’s recommended to use warm water, a neoprine squeegee and stiff bristle broom to clean a floor. If there is not a floor strain, a wet vac can be used. This method eliminated the importance for a clean that does nothing more than move dirt around. Floors are cleaned fast and dry immediately. This is not very money saving system, but restores clarity to the floor. With regular cleaning a floor look brand new for years.